You want to learn the cinema, audiovisual, and video. But you don’t have a clear idea of the cinema, the programmes offered by private schools of cinema, and cinema schools to which you speak ? Then, this article is for you.
Not only that, you will discover there are several aspects of film that one learns in prestigious film schools. But also, you will discover several of their courses as well as the costs of each.
However, note that the same training is also provided on the Internet by professionals, and at a cost much lower.
This article concerns only the French schools private cinema, we will revisit the topic in a next article to talk to you about training public.
Film school : what occupation interests you?
In film school, we learn different professions :
1) The job of a producer
The film producer :
- Chooses the projects and directors,
Shoulder the so-called filmmakers in all stages of manufacture of a film,
Brings together the resources of legal, financial and administrative measures necessary for the implementation of the film project,
It assists the latter in the important choices of the film (scenario, timeline, etc) and in all the stages of manufacture of a film.
- In general it is a production company. On the shoot, he is himself represented by the director of production. The latter, which is present daily on the set, is responsible for negotiating and managing the human and technical resources in order to carry out the shooting, and within the budget limit set.
2) the craft of The screenwriter
- He wrote scripts of feature films, short films, commercials, television films, clips or series. Today, he assumes, in general, the function of writer. He invented the entire story of a film. But it can work from a book and adapt it. It can also adapt his script to an actor tipped to play the leading role.
3) The profession of director
- The director of a film is the one that has the general idea of the project. He is responsible for the artistic creation of the film. It has a style and a universe that own him. However, sometimes, it is based on the movies he has previously made that the producer made a call to him.
- From the scenario, the developer determines in advance the division of the narrative, plans, types of plans, the lights, the rhythms, etc
Once on the board, the director directs the play of the actors. In post-production, he works with the editor and the mixer.
4) The profession of an actor
- It interprets a character in a film, and he can sing or dance depending on the needs. But he can also give his voice to the characters of an animated film, or in the case of dubbing of a film in original version.
5) The technicians
Here, we have several kinds :
- Technicians in production (1st assistant director, 2nd assistant director, etc)
- Technicians in production (production Manager, production assistant, etc)
- The script
- The régie (stage manager general, manager assistant, etc)
- Technicians on the image (Director of photography, camera operator, etc)
- The technicians in the sound (sound engineer, boom operator)
- The technicians in charge of the decor (decorator, props)
- The technicians in Dress, Makeup, and Hairstyling (make-up Artist, hair Stylist, etc)
- The technicians in post-production, (Chief editor, calibrator, etc)
- The technicians in operations (Chief operating officer, projectionist, etc)
Some training courses offered by the schools of cinema
The film schools are each specialised in training related to the business of cinema. Here are a few, with their duration and their cost :
1) Responsible for production audio-visual : Duration : 3 years. Tuition fees : 7000 euros per year.
2) Wizard execution and script : Duration : 3 years. Tuition fees : 7000 euros per year.
3) Technician of the trades of the image, director-editor : Duration : 2 years. Tuition fees : approximately 5950 euros per year.
4) music Production and soundscape : Duration : 4 months. Tuition fees : approximately 5390 euros per year.
5) stage Manager sound and multimedia : Duration : 1 year. Tuition fees : approximately 11,000 euros per year.
6) Training in cinema and audiovisual : Duration : 2 years. Tuition fees : about 5700 euros per year.
7) Producer/director : Duration : 3 years. Tuition fees : approximately € 6000 per year.
8) Screenwriter : Duration : 2 years. Tuition fees : approximately 1400 euros per year.
9) Writer adapter writer : Duration : 3 years. Tuition fees : approximately 5500 euros per year.
10) Trades of the 3D image : Duration : 3 years. Tuition fees : approximately 6980 euros per year.
11) Wizard of cinema production and audiovisual : Duration : 30 weeks. Tuition fees : approximately 5100 euros.
12) Fitter graphic designer video : Duration : 1 year. Tuition fees : around 5150 eur.
13) Distribution-operating : Duration : 2 years. Tuition fees : approximately 369 euros per year.
14) Designer 3D-VFX : Duration : 1 year. Tuition fees : about 9400 euros.
15) in the Direction of artistic director 3D : Duration : 2 years. Tuition fees : approximately 6300 € per year.
16) digital special Effects : Duration : 1 year. Tuition fees : around 7100 euros.
17) Director of Post production : Duration : 1 year. Tuition fees : about 7000 euros.
18) Designer, 3D Movie : Duration : 1 year. Tuition fees : approximately 7320 euros.
A few good schools to learn the trades of the cinema
Here are some good film schools :
1. The graduate School of Audiovisual production (ESRA)
The graduate School of Audiovisual production (ESRA) is a film school private established in 1972. It is found both in Paris, Nice, Rennes. We are The ESRA as a bachelor and on competition (letter of motivation, CHOICE, analysis, film, etc.).
In Paris, it gets in 3 years a graduate diploma of audiovisual production. To Nice and Rennes, one gets (still 3 years), a certificate of end of studies.
The first two years constitute a common trunk. In the 3rd year, students have the choice between 6 options :
- Achievement Cinema
- Achievement Tv
- Achievement Series
At the ESRA, the tuition fees amounted to 7500 euros per year.
2. The Higher School of Cinematographic Studies (ESEC)
This private school movie was created in 1973. She is based in Paris. To be admitted, it must have a BAC+2 in studies in audiovisual, artistic and literary, or accept a refresher course. It is also necessary to be successful in the contest which shall include a review of your file, a written test and an interview.
It gets in the 2 years of vocational qualifications for grade bachelor’s-Master’s. The degrees obtained are : Assistant to the realization of films and audiovisual works, Assistant to the production of cinematographic and audiovisual works, Editor-special effects artist in a digital cinematographic and audiovisual works.
The graduate School of Film Studies was awarded in 2010 the prize for the best Capture European in stereoscopic 3D festival 3D STEREO MEDIA. The tuition is 7200 to 7700 euros per year.
3. The Higher Institute of Image and SOUND (ISIS)
This private school of cinema based in Paris. It was established in 2010. To be admitted, he must present his diploma to the bachelor’s degree, or be at an equivalent level. It is also necessary to successfully pass the selection on the case, the tests and interviews.
The ISIS form in all the trades of the audio-visual, sound, and 3D animation & VFX
The certificate of establishment punishes 3 years of training. The schooling is of 5100 to 5400 euros.
4. The Conservatory Book of French Cinema (CLCF)
It is a private school of cinema created in 1963. She is based in Paris. The admission is done on presentation of the diploma for the bachelor’s degree and a folder selection with interview and tests of general culture and evaluation of creative potential.
The training of this school of cinema private place on 1 to 3 years. He is the assistant director, script supervisor, writer, editor, and the editor and special effects artist.
This school of private cinema was awarded the oscar for the best screenplay, the César for the best sound, and the Jury prize of Cannes.
The tuition is 5550 to 8350 euro per year.
5. 3 IS, The International Institute of Image and Sound
It is a school of private cinema , which was established in 1988. It is based in Elancourt. He must be a bachelor’s degree and having successfully passed the contest to enter.
This private school of cinema provides training courses in Cinema & Audiovisual, Digital Animation, broadcast Journalism, Techniques of Sight, sound, and E-Training.
The degrees of specialization of degree / BAC+2, BAC+3, BAC+4 are obtained in 3 years.
3 IS obtained various awards, including best editing at the festival of the short film ” in the footsteps of my uncle “, the Prize of the International Critics ‘ Week at Cannes, and the Award for Best first French film of the Syndicat français de la critique.
The Schooling is from 7.200 to 7.760 euro per year.
6. The International School of Audiovisual Creation and production (EICAR)
This private school movie was created in 1972. It is based in SAINT-DENIS. It is admitted on presentation of the diploma of the Tray and on contest : letter of motivation, written test, analysis of film, maintenance.
The EICAR form directing Film and Tv, Sound and music, BTS audiovisuel, Television, the Web and Journalism, Actorat, Writing, Scriptwriting, and audio-visual productions.
The EICAR has received awards such as the Prix du Public at the festival of Grasse in 2013, the Prix du public at the festival d’altkirch, the audience Award at the festival of Paris-Dauphine, etc
The tuition is 7200 to 7700 euros per year.
7. The Workshops of the Picture and Sound (AIS)
This school of private cinema, based in Marseille, was created in 2007. The admission is done on presentation of the diploma for the bachelor’s degree, admission on file, maintenance and testing.
The AIS form in photography, Audiovisual, and Sound Technician.
The training lasts for 2 years. The tuition is 5700 euros per year.
This private school of cinema is based in Nantes. It was created in 2005. To be admitted, it is necessary to have a bachelor’s degree and pass the selection tests on application and an interview.
The training lasts 3 years and is evidenced by a certificate of a designer and video director.
CINÉCRÉATIS has obtained various prizes : the third Prize in the world festival of the film of the road safety (in the category ” Film by young people for young people “), the Price Dailymotion festival P’tit Clap of Levallois in 2013, etc
The costs of schooling are of 5970 euros per year.
9. The CENTRE FACTORY
This private school movie was created in 2008. It is based in Villeurbanne, france. To be admitted, it is necessary to have the baccalaureate level, have a good record, and successfully pass the interviews and tests.
The CENTER FACTORY offers many training courses :
- Master In Documentary Cinema
- Director-stage Director
- Production manager – Assistant Director
- Sound designer – Technician and lessee, its
- Editor and VFX – Motion & Title designer – Calibrator
- Artist FX – Wizard decorations
In 3 years, we obtained the Bachelor’s degree european. The Tuition is 6,000 euros per year.
10. The Association For Research and Training in Image and Sound (ARFIS)
It is a private school of cinema founded in 1989. It is based in Villeurbanne, france. To enter you must be a graduate of Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent level. It is also necessary to successfully pass the selection on the case and the maintenance of motivation.
There follows a technician training to dual skill, video, and cinema. The studies last for 2 years. The tuition is 6,000 euros per year.
This is the essence of what you need to know about film schools. You have already built one of these schools ? Please do not hesitate to share your experience in the comments.