Professor Barbenfouillis and six other scientists are organizing themselves for an expedition to the moon…
• Release Date : 1 September 1902
• Directed by Georges Méliès
• Film French
• With François Lallement, Victor André, Brunnet
• Duration : 16min
• Original title : The Trip to The Moon
Today, always in association with MrDomainePublic, the Blog Of The Film offers you to (re)discover the cult film by Georges Méliès, Le Voyage dans La Lune.
And as always, here are a few stories around this legendary film :
* The Trip to The Moon is the first film on the list of world heritage of cinema, and the very first science-fiction film recognized by UNESCO. It is also with this short film that Georges Méliès has set up special effects for the time were revolutionary.
* With The Trip to The Moon, Georges Méliès was convinced he had a masterpiece on their hands, and the filmmaker had the intention to distribute it him-even in the United States. However, he did not know that the technicians of the director, Thomas Edison had already made several copies of the film, which have been dealt with a huge success in american territory, well before Méliès could try to take advantage of this market. He has not touched a penny for the film.
* In 1993, a copy of the Trip to The Moon was made by an anonymous collector to the Filmoteca de Catalunya in Barcelona. Not only it was the most complete version of the film ever known, but the film was also hand-colored, frame by frame. This version has been essential to obtain the restored version known today. We had to wait until 2011 so that this masterpiece can be found all of its colors, thanks to the restoration done by Lobster, la Foundation Groupama Gan for Cinema and the Technicolor Foundation for Heritage Cinema.
* For the timeline of the Trip to The Moon, Georges Méliès has combined two fantastic tales classics : From The earth to The Moon by Jules Verne and First Man In The Moon by H. G. Wells.
* When the complete restoration of the film in 2010-2011 by Lobster, la Foundation Groupama Gan and Technicolor Foundation, the two Foundations, anxious to reach a wider audience, and to rediscover this monument of the early days of the cinema, asked the group Air to compose an original score to accompany the film. The artists have responded voluntarily and with a remarkable commitment to this request. Inspired by their work on this soundtrack, they have pursued their inception and have released an album around the Trip to The Moon on EMI.
Have a good time !
ARVE Error: id and provider shortcodes attributes are mandatory for old shortcodes. It is recommended to switch to new shortcodes that need only url