How do you make a catapult out of rubber bands and pencils?
- Step 1: Make a Pencil Triangle. Arrange 3 pencils into an equilateral triangle.
- Step 2: Reinforce the Triangle.
- Step 3: Make Another Triangle.
- Step 4: Connect the Supports (At the Top)
- Step 5: Connect the Supports (At the Bottom)
- Step 6: Attach the Pivot.
- Step 7: Make the Catapult.
- Step 8: Attach Catapult.
How do you make a homemade trebuchet?
- Step 1: Cut lumber. Using the cutting guide shown, cut the two-by-threes, two-by-two, and one-by-three to length.
- Step 2: Mark frame.
- Step 3: Drill holes for pivot arm.
- Step 4: Assemble trebuchet sides.
- Step 5: Drill holes for axles.
- Step 6: Join trebuchet sides.
- Step 7: Attach braces.
- Step 8: Mount wheels.
How big of a trebuchet do I Need?
You can make a wooden trebuchet with a base about 12 inches (30 cm) and a swing arm of about 16 inches (40 cm) or a smaller and lighter model out of popsicle sticks. If you plan to use your trebuchet outdoors, you’ll want to make a larger trebuchet.
How do you make a simple trebuchet?
(If you use a bucket, its weight forms part of the overall counterweight.) Cut and sand the frame pieces and swing arm. For an indoor trebuchet, you can use 1 x 6-inch (2.5 x 15 cm) planking. For an outdoor trebuchet, you can use 2 x 4-inch (5 x 10 cm) planking. You’ll need to cut 8 pieces: Two long base pieces.
What kind of balls can you launch from a trebuchet?
An indoor trebuchet could launch grapes, paper wads, or Nerf balls, while an outdoor trebuchet could launch water balloons, tennis balls (perfect for Renfaire mixed doubles), golf balls (for Renfaire golf), clay balls, ball bearings, croquet balls, billiard balls, or even actual rocks.
What is the counterweight of a trebuchet?
(Medieval trebuchets launched not only rocks, but also chunks of burning pitch and dead horse carcasses, a Middle Ages form of chemical warfare.) Whatever you decide you want to launch with your trebuchet, your counterweight should be from 100 to 133 times the weight of your projectile.