How do you open a old roll top desk without a key?
How to Unlock an Antique Rolltop Desk
- Unbend one metal paperclip, turning it into a long, thin tool for picking your desk lock.
- Slide your paperclip back into the lock, running it across the top of the lock.
- Push a second paperclip or a screwdriver into the lock.
- Insert your paperclip back into the lock.
When did they stop making roll top desks?
The roll top desk fell out of favor in the early 1900s with the introduction of sleek glass and steel desks. Larger quantities of documents also made the small stacked drawers and mini-shelves impractical. The need for more storage saw roll top desks replaced with filing cabinets.
How do you unstick a roll top desk?
Dampen the old cloth with a sponge to loosen the hide glue if the desk is old. If the desk is somewhat new and the glue does not respond to water, use vinegar instead. Pull the lift bar and the slats off the old cloth and wipe them dry with paper towels.
How do you date an old roll top desk?
Check the desk for original locks stamped with a turn-of-the-century manufacturer’s name, such as Derby Desk Company, Schlicht Area Company, Shannon File Company or Cutler Desk Company. You might also find the name of the manufacturer underneath the desk, which could even include the date the piece was manufactured.
How do you refurbish a roll top desk?
How to Refinish a Roll Top Desk
- Remove all drawers from the desk.
- Apply stripper to all wooden areas.
- Apply stripper to the roll top area.
- Scrap off the old finish.
- Sand the wooden areas.
- Stain the desk.
- Complete the project by applying a coat of lacquer over the stain.
How do you pick a desk lock with a paperclip?
- Straighten two paperclips.
- Shine a flashlight into the lock to look for the side that has the pins.
- Insert the other paperclip, so that it is parallel with the other paperclip.
- Turn the pins in the lock with the paperclip until the lock opens.