The production of a film
The pre-production and production in 3 steps
The essential steps: The Preparation Of a Film
If you’re on this site, it is to learn the cinema, to know how to make a movie and know all the stages of its manufacture, before being able to contact a producer. The production of a film is part of the case where, precisely, no producer wants to your project. You can read on the web and explanations can be sketchy on the steps of the preparation. I would like you to explain as precisely as possible. For this we are going to talk about pre-production and production of your next film.
– Scenario : no scenario, no movie…though…it does not prevent some from turning ;o)
– Estimated Budget : No money, no movie. The estimated budget is to estimate the cost of the film post by post. It will therefore be necessary to establish a list of technology, that is to say, the list of technicians (and not of the material, some people make the amalgam between technical checklist and list of equipment), but also the equipment list , item by item, in order to stick closer to the reality of the needs of the shoot.
– Research funding : regions, private, common, CNC, Adami, crowdfunding etc..in short, everything to find the money needed for the shoot.
– Locations : Search for locations of each sequence of the film in function of the demands, the needs of the scenario and the wishes of the director.
– Skinning : the 1st assistant director will note all items in the scenario (roles, vehicles, scenery, figures, accessories) etc… The counting will allow him to make the plan work a little later.
– Casting : finding the lead actors and side of your film.
– Work Plan : It is the document that organizes the entire shoot. It is the 1er assistant who writes. It takes into account all the constraints of all the positions but also of the actors. The work plan allows you to know the dates, the locations, sequences, tours, day-by-day brief…everything the team needs to know.
– Technical locations : once the decorations have been found, a part of the team moves on each ornament to see the scene. This tracking technique, with the heads of posts, allows you to decide if technically we can turn in the places chosen or not.
– Cutting technology : The cutting technique is done by the developer. It can only be done after the tracking technique. Even if it is true that the director has a small idea of how he wants to film his scenes, the configuration of the site, as well as the technical constraints potential may lead it to change its mind. In ” real life “ shooting, some filmmakers are not cutting as a young filmmaker the designs (not in writing, he scribbles more than anything else), it does not communicate necessarily to the whole team, only 1er assistant, chief operator and camera operator are aware of this…and yet… At the technical locations it can give some information that the first wizard, note (it will enable him to better grasp the shooting time as a function of the number of plans that the developer provides).
– Shooting permits : it is the stage manager (or his deputy) who takes care of shooting permits, that is to say, the agreement of each owner of the premises which shall serve as the backdrops for the film.
Here are the steps necessary for the preparation of a shoot…
The problem is that, said like that, it is a bit of a mess. In fact, some of these steps are done at the same time as other and relate to a variety of trades. Put them in this order gives a general idea of the conduct of a pre-med, but does not reflect the truth. So I’ll try to explain it to you as clearly as possible.
We distinguish 3 major trades in the works : The production, the staging, the governed. These three categories work in the same time !
Production : seeks the money and then gives an envelope to the production manager, who in turn made a provisional budget. It deal also the amount of the fees of the actors with the agents, manages the budget allocated to the production, deal with technicians and rental companies etc., This is he who takes care of the insurance for the shooting. Do not neglect the amount of the insurance into your quote.
Staging : does the general count (+ vehicles, figures, accessories etc, In fact, even if the general count contains all of this information, each station needs its own count), He organizes the technical locations, the work plan, assists the director in its castings, the link with the commissioner-general, the chief operator, the leader, the dir of the cast, provides for the trial makeup, costume, hairstyle with the HMC, in short, it is on all fronts with all the heads of the posts !
The régie, in charge of finding vehicles games, permissions for filming, catering (canteen), the hotels, the trains, the table governance, etc… in short, all the logistics of filming. I would say that governance is one of the lungs of your film.
I would like to talk about the HMC (dress, makeup, hair) who are doing an important job, and I would even say indispensable, in preparation.
The HMC : Without them, no costume, nor of fine actors. He calls the actors chosen for testing. He creates and proposes a universe to the director through the costumes, hairstyles and makeup. These are the guarantors of unity and visual coherence (attention I’m not talking about light but well of costume, hair and makeup!! ;o) ) of a film. I find that the medical profession is not enough put forward, to my taste, in the explanation of what is a pre-med.
That’s it for the introduction of the production of a film and what is the preparation of a film. But to go further I need to go back to each of these steps, you explain how they articulate them and what they entail.