Un a dog and a child travelling in the time : we can easily guess that it is a cartoon for these little darlings to the simple reading of this short summary. The principal feature of this duo is that it is the dog who has adopted (literally) to the child and not the reverse. We will guess, therefore, also easily the legal “parent-friendly” on the difference that the film will be the object and the viewing of the new feature film Dreamworks confirms this hunch.
Aside from that, this adaptation of a section semi-educational 5 minutes of a cartoon american of the 60’s created by Jay Ward (ROCKY AND HIS FRIENDS on ABC), that confront its heroes to historical figures such as Napoleon or other, is going to be less childish and more fun than what is foreshadowed a trailer wise enough and mainly focused on a section of the film (the passage in the Ancient Egypt). The film is obviously less enjoyable than THE CROODS and epic as THE FIVE LEGENDS recently produced by Dreamworks but defends himself very well on the plan of humor.
“Mr. PEABODY AND SHERMAN – THE TIME TRAVEL (to the game titles VF of films that take longer to articulate than to summarize the story, it’s laying there for that matter) is a form of entertainment that is honest, with a sense of humor very present, although somewhat simplistic.”
Indeed, despite an inconsistency is quite blatant in the scenario in relation to the use of the machine to travel back in time to just return to Egypt, the classmate of Sherman’s, it is chock full of gags related precisely to the anachronisms (especially in the language of the characters) and some rewriting of historical events on a day humorous. In addition, if you are a customer of games of words down the front, you will be served (an example : the dog, a Nobel Prize winner, is out “Sweety” of his class at Harvard…) : in short, we laugh regularly, even if sometimes the movie pours in the facility and childish.
Technical level, the animation is fluid and, in the same way as in THE CROODS, the character design is very “cartoon”. Has the achievement, you will be surprised to find an old hitchhiker the kids ‘ film, Rob Minkoff, known for having directed STUART LITTLE, but especially for having done for Disney nothing less than THE LION KING ! To tell the truth, if all is honest level of staging, there is nothing revolutionary or actual paw recognizable in the making of the film. However, all works well.
Finally, Mr. PEABODY AND SHERMAN – THE TIME TRAVEL (to the game titles VF of films that take longer to articulate than to summarize the story, it’s laying there for that matter) is a form of entertainment that is honest, with a sense of humor very present, although quite simplistic. Less surprising than the previous Dreamworks, it remains a good choice in the list, longer, animation movies coming out in theaters these past few years.
• Achievement : Rob Minkoff
• Screenplay : Craig Wright, Jay Ward, Rob Minkoff, Jason Clark, Andrew Kurtzman
• Main actors : Ty Burrell / Guillaume Gallienne (voice-VO/VF), Max Charles / Jules Timmerman (voice-VO/VF), Ariel Winter / Garance Pauwels (voice-VO/VF), Stephen Colbert / Vincent Ropion (voice-VO/VF), Allison Janney / Pauline Larrieu (voice-VO/VF)…
• Country of origin : United States
• Output : 12 February 2014
• Duration : 1h32mn
• Distributor : 20th Century Fox France
• Synopsis : Mr. Peabody is the most intelligent person in the world. He is the winner of the Nobel prize, olympic champion, great chef… and it also happens to be a dog ! Although he is a genius in all areas, Mr. Peabody is about to face its greatest challenge : being a father. To help Sherman, his little boy adopted, to be ready for school, he decided to teach him the history and then built a machine to travel back in time. Things start to go wrong when Sherman breaks the rules and loses accidentally in the time Penny, his classmate.