It was once a book from the ancestral, the Tale of tales. A big thing of the XVIIe century that could have inspired the greatest, from Perrault to the brothers Grimm until Tolkien. It is what it is. A work in which, within the three kingdoms, lived a king lewd, another is obsessed by a strange creature while his daughter is desperate to find love and a queen’s desire to have a child destroyer. These are in any case among the plethora of other stories from the original work, the segments that Matteo Garrone, the gifted Italian at the origin of Gomorrah, wanted to put it in picture.
And they are beautiful in these images. For two hours, it is a feast for the eyes. End-to-end, TALE OF TALES does not disappoint in this regard. Consistent, the beauty of each plans propels us in these kingdoms fantasy where ogres, jesters, princes, albinos, witches, and beasts underwater coexist.
Resolutely contemporary, TALE OF TALES, is paying the luxury to resonate with the present. Thus, the fear of growing old, relationships, affiliates, marriage, power and its abuses, the eternal beauty or perversion are some of the topics, topical, covered by the film. All served by a cast of four stars : Salma Hayek in the lead, a delicious queen desperate eating of the heart. King obsessed with the idea of the fly, Vincent Cassel cabotine to loudly but oddly enough it works, and John C. Reilly, throws a max in majesty. What promise a nice red carpet.
“Sawtooth, “tale of tales” struggling to convince as much as it should have been.”
But it is still a weird feeling. The one unfinished. As if we are reading a tale without a deliver us from morality. As if it ended a little fish tail. A little too easily, without panache. Or if little. Full of good ideas, brilliant amazing (the princess who gets rid of the ogre), scenes of the funny (as an old girl unveils her finger to a Vincent Cassel hallucinated), or funny (even Vincent Cassel , who throw the intruder out the window), and a solid staging, TALE OF TALES bored sometimes. It turns vacuum also, when you say that Garrone attends may be more of the way he filmed the topic than the topic itself.
Saw tooth, this fairy Tale of fairy tales struggling to convince as much as it should have been.
– The other films presented at the Cannes film Festival 2015 • Original title : Il Racconto dei Racconti
• Production : Matteo Garrone
• Scenario : Edoardo Albinati, Ugo Chiti, Matteo Garrone, Massimo Gaudioso. After the painting by Giambattista Basile
• Main actors : Salma Hayek, Vincent Cassel, Toby Jones, John C. Reilly
• Country of origin : Italy, France
• Released : July 1, 2015
• Duration : 2h0min
• Distributor : The Covenant
• Synopsis : There was once three neighboring kingdoms where in wonderful castles reigned as kings and queens, princes and princesses : a king fornicator and libertine, another captivated by a strange animal, a queen obsessed by his desire to have a child… Witches and fairies, and fearsome monsters, ogre and old washerwomen, puppeteers, acrobats and courtesans are the heroes of this free interpretation of the famous fairy tales of Giambattista Basile.