Cach day, 2 movies to see on tv : a on all channels, and another one exclusively on TNT. Tonight, EMPIRE OF the SUN and MILLENNIUM – THE MEN WHO Didn’T like WOMEN.
EMPIRE OF THE SUN
Release Date : march 16, 1988 (2h34min)
Director : Steven Spielberg
Actors : Christian Bale, John Malkovich, Miranda Richardson
Genre : War, Drama, History
Country : United States
In 1941, the international concession of Shanghai seems to ignore any of the japanese occupation of the rest of the country. James Graham, a young son of a british industrialist, lives a life protected and full of adventures to be imaginary. But the attack of Pearl Harbour marks the end of this state of grace, and James finds himself separated from his family. Condemned to the status of wandering, he found himself finally imprisoned in a prison camp where he must learn to survive…
• National Board of Review Awards 1987 : Best film, Best director (Steven Spielberg), Best young actor (Christian Bale)
• Christopher Awards 1987 : Best film
• American Society of Cinematographers Awards 1988 : Best cinematography in a film (Allen Daviau)
• Kansas City Film Critics Circle Awards 1988 : Best director (Steven Spielberg)
• BAFTA Awards 1989 : Best cinematography (Allen Daviau) , Best film music (John Williams), Best sound (Charles L. Campbell, Louis L. Edemann, Robert Knudson and Tony Dawe)
• Young Artist Awards 1989 : Best family film-drama, Best young actor in a dramatic film (Christian Bale)
• Empire of the Sun is the first to have been turned, in part, in China.
• This film is one of the leading roles of Christian Bale (American Psycho, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight : The dark Knight, …), who was then 13 years old. Steven Spielberg has had a lot of trouble to find the performer of this role, in fact, he had auditioned about 400 children.
• You can also see Ben Stiller who plays one of the american prisoners.
• The film is an adaptation of the novel semi-autobiographical J. G. Ballard which was awarded the prestigious James Tait Black Memorial Prize. J. G. Ballard makes a cameo in the film in the role of a guest at the costume party at the beginning of the film. A few years later, another of his novels, Crash! will be adapted by David Cronenberg in the film of the same name.
• The project was a proposed time to director David Lean, who decided to withhold the making of the film, that it was too close to his film The Bridge on the river Kwai (1957).
• The japanese aircraft used in the film, the famous ” Zeros “, are in reality Harvards american modified.
SOURCES : ALLOCINÉ – WIKIPEDIA
MILLENNIUM – THE MEN WHO Didn’T like WOMEN
“MILLENNIUM – THE MEN WHO Did NOT love WOMEN”
Release Date : January 18, 2012 (2h38min)
Director : David Fincher
Acturs : Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer
Genre : Detective, Thriller
Country : United States, Great Britain, Sweden, Germany
No one under 12 years
Mikael Blomkvist, brilliant journalist of investigation, is hired by one of the most powerful industrialists in Sweden, Henrik Vanger, to investigate the disappearance of his niece, Harriet, which occurred years before. Vanger is convinced she was murdered by a member of his own family.
Lisbeth Salander, a young woman rebel, but an investigator outstanding, is charged to learn about Blomkvist, which will eventually lead her to work with him.
Between the young troubled woman, who distrusts all the world, and the journalist’s tenacious, a link of fragile confidence will build while they follow the trail of several murders. They are soon immersed in the heart of the secrets and of the haines family, financial scandals and crimes of the most barbaric…
• Oscars 2012 : Oscar for Best editing (Angus Wall , Kirk Baxter)
• In June 2009, some of the rumors are more or less based reported of a possible remake from Millennium by Quentin Tarantino with Brad Pitt, after their work on Inglourious Basterds.
• For the role of Mikael Blomkvist, the names of George Clooney, Johnny Depp, Viggo Mortensen and Brad Pitt have been mentioned before Daniel Craig was officially selected in June 2010.
• The role of Lisbeth was also very “popular” and the names of Natalie Portman, Lea Seydoux and Scarlett Johansson have been circulating. It is ultimately the lesser-known Rooney Mara who has been committed. She had already turned in the previous film by David Fincher, The Social Network.
SOURCES : ALLOCINÉ – WIKIPEDIA