Each day, we advise you to take 2 films to see on tv that night : a film on the set of strings and another, exclusively on TNT.
In the programme tonight : THE CROSSING OF PARIS by Claude Autant-Lara and THE TURIN HORSE by Bela Tarr.
- ON TNT
THE CROSSING OF PARIS
Paris, in 1942. Taxi driver in unemployment, Marcel Martin makes his living delivering parcels on the black market. One day, he must carry on foot, to the other end of the capital, four suitcases containing a pig cut out. He went in the cellar of a named Tibialis and plays the accordion while the animal is slaughtered.
It then runs with his wife Mariette to the restaurant where he must find his accomplice. He learns that he has been arrested by the police. A stranger then enters the restaurant and, on a misunderstanding, fearing that he had slipped a appointment with his wife, Martin invites him to share his meal and to work with him.
This choice proves to be calamitous, because this new character, a certain Grandgil, is far from docile. It provides first of all a substantial increase in salary terrorizing the unfortunate Tibialis. Then, he destroyed the bottles of a bistro, where the two accomplices are hiding from the police, and deals with the clients of ” bastards of the poor “. He even goes so far as to knock out a police officer in the district where live Martin. And when, fleeing a German patrol, they end up taking refuge in the apartment of Grandgil, it is with amazement that Martin discovers that he is a painter of some renown who has followed that to distract them.
Continuing their path, they finally arrive at the address of the delivery but find the door closed. They make such a hubbub that a German patrol comes in. In the Command where they are taken, a German officer recognizes the painter Grandgil. He is preparing to release when it was announced the assassination of a colonel. The German officer managed to save in extremis that Grandgil, while Martin is sent in Germany to the S. T. O.
The years have passed. Paris is released, and we find Grandgil on a dock station in Lyon followed by a carrier bags. The top of the window of the car, Grandgil recognizes suddenly Martin, bearing as always the suitcases of the other.
Technical data sheet
Realization : Claude Autant-Lara
Screenplay : Jean Aurenche, Pierre Bost
Main actors : Jean Gabin, Bourvil, Louis de Funès
Country of origin : France, Italy
Genre : Comedy, drama
Released : 26 October 1956
Duration : 80 minutes
• A tenacious legend wants that the film was a success with the public, mixed ; this is false, since with 4 893 174 entries, the film takes place 4th at the box office, 1956.
• The choice of Bourvil for the role of Martin, was the subject of an opposition so violent on the part of Marcel Aymé it ends up worrying the production. Claude Autant-Lara, who insisted on his choice, had to reduce its budget by more than 50 %, thus waiving the color, to get any freedom with respect to the distribution. Marcel Aymé admitted its error regarding Bourvil, adding more : “This is really the first time that we made the movie something drawn of one of my books that is not only well, but of a very high quality. And in this particular case, it was not easy “.
• Before this movie, Bourvil had never worked with Jean Gabin. Their first scene was precisely that of the first meeting between Martin and Grandgil. When Gabin comes (back) in the bistro and launches a “Hello” to the disturbing, the actor Bourvil was terrified.
• The technical team is visible two times in the film. When Jeannette Batti seeks a soap to Jean Gabin at the beginning of the film we can perfectly see, in the space of a second, the shadow of the camera on the actress. When Bourvil sees Jeannette Batti, who was getting ready to leave, Gabin fate of the building only. When Gabin leaves the hallway : we see very clearly that an assistant closes the door behind him.
• The tight budget of the film encouraged Max Douy (celebrity chef and decorator to carry out entire neighborhoods of Paris in the studio. The influences of expressionist artist (already visible in other movies) explode in certain sequences of The Crossing of Paris. In addition, the film is certainly one of the visions of the most righteous and the most striking of the period of occupation at the cinema. The strength of the treatment lies obviously in the presence of a black-and-white high contrast and disturbing.
• The film has been colorized in 1994 by the company AFT – American Film Technologies, with the agreement of Claude Autant-Lara.
• Claude Autant-Lara would have waited five years before turning the reunion final gare de Lyon train station, timed by the departure of the train and Grandgil (it had acquired the rights in 1950). This conclusion disillusioned stands out completely from the news of Marcel Aymé in which Grandgil is killed by Martin, who embodies the honour of the proletariat against the cynicism of the bourgeoisie oisive.
• In the twilight of his career, Claude Autant-Lara made a remake closet of The Crossing of Paris. The movie in question is Potatoes, based on the novel by Jacques Vaucherot, realized in 1969 with Pierre Perret and Henri Virlojeux.
• For many, this film is considered the masterpiece of Claude Autant-Lara.
• The Studios of Joinville were processed in the barn for the comfort of the pigs featured in the film.
• The Liberation of Paris is illustrated by the parade of 11 November 1944.
• The process of the adaptation of the new by the duo of Jean Aurenche and Pierre Bost is discussed in the documentary Jean Aurenche, writer of cinema of Alexandre Hilaire and Yacine, Badday.
• A chapter of the book, Liquidate Paris, the Danish author, Sven Hassel, is devoted to the transport of a pig by German soldiers in the context of the black market.
• Cup Volpi for the best actor for Bourvil.
• Best film award by the French syndicate of the criticism of the cinema 1956.
• Price Méliès 1957.
• Nominated for the golden Lion at the Mostra of Venice 1956.
• Appointment for Jean Gabin at the BAFTAS 1957, in the category ” best foreign actor “.
Source : Wikipedia
- ON OTHER CHANNELS
THE TURIN HORSE
January 1889. Turin. The German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche is opposed to the brutal behaviour of a coachman flogging his horse who refuses to move forward. Nietzsche sobs and embraces the animal. Then her proprietor back to his home. The philosopher remained prostrate for two days, before sinking, during the last eleven years of its existence, in a fit of dementia. This is the prologue of the original film that attaches, then, to thoroughly describe the life of the box, her daughter, and, finally, of the horse…
Technical data sheet
Original title : A Torinói barceló
Production : Béla Tarr, with the participation of Ágnes Hranitzky
Screenplay : László Krasznahorkai, Béla Tarr
Main actors : János Derzsi, Erika Bók, Mihály Kormos
Country of origin : Hungary, France, Germany, Switzerland, United States
Genre : Drama
Released : November 30, 2011
Duration : 146 min
• With The Turin Horse, the filmmaker, the Hungarian Béla Tarr has expressed its desire to put an end to his career. He fully dedicated himself to teaching, particularly at the film School in Split in Croatia. “Afraid of a repeat, the difficulty of growing up financially his films, the disaffection of a public, yet made up of faithful fans,” are the reasons given by the director to explain his decision. According to Raphaëlle Pireyre (Critikat.com), ” the energy that Béla Tarr had need to bring his achievements to a more complex and virtuoso dries up. “On this occasion, The Centre Georges-Pompidou is devoting a retrospective of his films, from 3 December 2011 to 2 January 2012.
• Silver bear at the Berlin film Festival 2011
Source : Wikipedia
ARVE Error: id and provider shortcodes attributes are mandatory for old shortcodes. It is recommended to switch to new shortcodes that need only url