The basics : how to Make a Movie…A Good Movie
A couple of weekends ago I had put online : how do you make a good movie. So here is the second part of this article : How to make a movie…a good movie.
5 th point : the turning
What I can see, most of the time in shorts lying around on the net, this genre of movies are hardly watchable (the image that moves, etc…) in short, far from what we call a good film. A lot of young filmmakers are hiding behind a lack of means, then, that know how to make a frame and put his camera does not require thousands, or even millions of euros !
To ensure that your film is a good film, it is necessary that it is watchable. This means a stable image, clear, or overexposed or under exposed.
Here are a few quick tips on how to make a film :
– It should be fluid movements. If you shoot a panoramic,to avoid having bursts.
– Try to avoid letting the auto focus as you might have blurred, updates to the points up
– Does pinch-to-zoom not. NEVER ! if you shoot with an slr camera, change the focal length. We are getting closer or steps back from the subject filmed. It only zooms in or it does not de zoome ever.
– Use a tripod for your still shots
– For the plans to ” the shoulder “ to be well stable on your positions, both feet firmly on the ground. If you’re shooting with a camcorder, keep the elbows tight against your body to prevent from moving too much.
– Pay Attention to your lens ! Switch to Manual if you need to shoot the interior of a house to a door opening (door for example). The entry light will blow your f-stops and make crazy your camera will try to compensate, you will lose the point as well…in short…the cata
– Make a Master, that is to say, a plan that covers your entire sequence. In general it is a plane, rather broad.
– Multiply the axes and the values but not the surmultipliez not. There is nothing to do 15 shots with 15 different axes if your sequence is only 20 seconds….be smart and think about the fastest way, plans and axes which will be most effective.
– There is no filming ever against the day ! (except for a particular effect)
Last tip of turning on how to make a film :
– pay attention to your connections movements
– and your connections all short (costumes, objects, etc… )
– observe the basic rules of filming (rule of 180°, 30°, etc..) we will come back also on all that in another article.
6th point : The sound
Yes, you are right, this point is part of the filming but I find it essential to devote to a particular point.
Many of you use the sound from the built-in microphone in the camera and it is a very big mistake.
– The sound is distant
– The micro takes absolutely all moods
– The reverberation of each room, or give a ” color “ different for each sequence, the aim of which is to be immontable and awful to listen to
It is thus necessary to other solutions to have a more pro and not spend all of your savings.
What to do :
– rent a micro pro and the adapter on the camera
– take a micro pro, a windscreen and a boom
– rent a mixer (a device that manages the live sound during the shooting
– rent or buy HF
If I have an advice to give you, is to rent the equipment for a lower cost you’ll have all the stuff the top for a result that meets your expectations.
Yes but what hardware ?
For perch if you have an entry 48volt on your camera (camera), you can connect a Neumann KMR81. If you do not have a decision-48volt, you need in addition to the Neumann KMR81 a mixer : Sound Devices 302.
By renting, your budget should say thank you :o)
I also suggest you rent the HF (lavalier) for the catch of perch is not possible.
If you don’t want to perch where you don’t have the means, I would advise you to invest in HF. You can find them for a hundred euros as the : AZDEN WLX-PRO
Last tip to make a good film :
– Make sounds only
A sound only a sound, a sound witness of all the places in which you turn until the team makes no noise, as if the room or the place was empty. This will allow you, to mount, to erase some of the imperfections of sound. This technique only works if you perchez or if your dialogues are taken by HF. It is necessary that the track of the dialogues or the action is different from the atmosphere ;o) we will return to this point in a future article.
We could talk about the editing and the mixing , but frankly, if you follow all the above points, you will have done an incredible job. As I often say, ” Rome was not built in a day “. Take your time and try to improve yourself constantly. I’m here to help you.
7th Point : lighting
I know that you are doing almost all the deadlock on this point ! Yet have a little light, other than ambient light can be (is) crucial to get an acceptable image.
This does not demand a deployment of extraordinary means.
I’m not an expert in light, but you can get out of it ” for small decor interior with :
– 2 or 3 mandarins of 800 watts
– 1 or 2 Fresnel 300 watts
– If your budget allows : HMI (mimics the light of the day)
Attention of the mandarins, it heats hard ;o) use gloves to carry them, or to adjust the flaps.
You also need all the hardware around : cine foil (like aluminum very thick black that does not fire) ; gels (colors) ; clothespins (to hold the cine foil and the gelatin on the projo ;o)
Here for this second part on the basics/ steps on how to make a film. In the next few weeks we will go further…;o)
If you liked this article, the best way to tell me is to click the “Like” button at the top of the article. You can also read other articles by returning to the site map by clicking on the link.
See you soon.