Each day, we advise you to take 2 films to see on tv that night : a film on the set of strings and another, exclusively on TNT.
In the programme tonight : BATMAN BEGINS by Christopher Nolan and MISSISSIPPI BURNING by Alan Parker.
- ON TNT
- Read our review of the film
The young Bruce Wayne can only watch helplessly the murder of her parents. Deeply traumatized, he grows up obsessed by a desire for revenge, and journey to the four corners of the world to study criminology and martial arts. The League of shadows, a sect of ninja warriors headed by Ra’s al Ghul, be in charge of his physical training. Back home in Gotham City, the young man is in charge of the business management Wayne which he is the heir. Operating from the basement of the family mansion with the help of his butler Alfred, Bruce Wayne launches into the fight against crime under the name Batman.
Technical data sheet
Production : Christopher Nolan
Screenplay : Christopher Nolan, David S. Goyer
Main actors : Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Gary Oldman, Cillian Murphy
Production companies : Warner Bros, Syncopy, Patalex III Productions
Country of origin : United States, United Kingdom
Genre : Fantasy, action
Released : June 15, 2005
Duration : 134 min
• The film is inspired by the comics : “Batman: The Man Who Falls”, “Batman : Year 1” and “Batman : the long Halloween”.
• The film directed by Christopher Nolan has no referent timeline to the previous films made by Tim Burton or Joel Schumacher. It is, therefore, of a new saga that is independent of the previous (initiated in 1989). The sequel to Batman Begins titled The Dark Knight : The dark Knight, released on August 13, 2008. The 3rd part of this new saga, The Dark Knight Rises, is released in July 2012.
• For the lead role of Bruce Wayne, Nolan and the producers of the film were hesitant between Jake Gyllenhaal, Guy Pearce, Christian Bale, Joshua Jackson, Ashton Kutcher, Eion Bailey and Hugh Dancy. But it is Bale who is engaged.
• The uncle of Christopher Nolan, John Nolan holds a small role in the film. Jeremy Theobald, who played in Doodlebug and Following, the previous two films of Nolan’s, made a brief appearance in the role of a technician.
• The Mansion Wayne is the Mentmore Towers, castle-Nineteenth-century English neo-gothic style and neo-renaissance.
• Batman Begins is among the films of super-heroes who used the least amount of digital effects.
Differences with the comics
• The main female character, Rachel Dawes (played by Katie Holmes) and all what is attached to have been invented for the purposes of the film.
• Arkham asylum is not located usually in the middle of a neighborhood, as is the case in the movie, even if the island on which it is located is well connected to the city by drawbridges.
• Crane is not a member of the Arkham asylum.
• Lucius Fox does not know in the comics that Bruce Wayne is Batman, and here he guesses. In addition, this is not a technology expert that doubled as a biologist, but a very good manager of a business (what it becomes at the end).
• One can note the presence of Zsasz (played here by Tim Booth), an enemy of recurring Batman, become, in this film a man is Carmine Falcone.
• Bruce Wayne has never been imprisoned in Asia, and Ra’s al Ghul has not gathered in his temple to train and train to become Batman, even if Bruce went there once to perfect. This is the origins of Batman are unique to this film.
• The League of Assassins led by Ra’s al Ghul has been renamed the League of Shadows. In addition, Ducard is not one of its members in the comics, but a simple bounty hunter French, which will lead to Bruce Wayne.
• In the comics (see Year One), James Gordon arrives in Gotham at the same time that Bruce Wayne returns. In fact, he could not gather the young Bruce at the police station after the murder of his parents as he does in the film.
Source : Wikipedia
- ON OTHER CHANNELS
In 1964, three men, members of a committee for the defense of civil rights disappear at Jessup County in the State of Mississippi, without leaving any trace. Rupert Anderson and Alan Ward, FBI agents are responsible to clarify this matter. The second is a young man, acting with “official methods of the FBI”, namely the systematic a little brutal but a legalist from the FBI of Hoover. The first, the oldest, a native of the south, uses less conventional ways, but more effective. In order to assist them in their investigation, they call in reinforcements, who searched the outskirts of the city in search of the bodies of the three missing. Violence on racism broke out in the county while the survey seems to get bogged down in a quagmire with no bottom.
Anderson continues the investigation, in parallel with the team’s ultra-modern of Ward, but according to more subtle methods. His suspicions are on the sheriff Stuckey and deputy Pell, whose alibi at the time of the disappearance, is his wife.
The atmosphere is deleterious and explosive : a man is almost lynched, while Townley, the leader of the Ku Klux Klan, fueling the hatred and the violence. Mrs. Pell, the wife of the assistant to the sheriff, whereas these events and resolves to speak, and reveals to Anderson where the bodies of the three missing. Tilman, the mayor, after having been terrorized in a fake kidnapping by a color agent of the F. B. I, gives information leading to the arrest of the culprits : Swilley, Cowens, Bailey, Stuckey and Pell.
Technical data sheet
Réalisation : Alan Parker
Screenplay : Chris Gerolmo
Main actors : Gene Hackman, Willem Dafoe, Frances McDormand, Brad Dourif
Country of origin : United States
Genre : Drama
Released : march 29, 1989
Duration : 128 minutes
• Mississippi Burning recounts the facts that took place in June 1964 in the State of Mississippi at the beginning of the Freedom Summer. Three the civil rights activists, Michael Schwerner, Andrew Goodman and James Chaney were murdered by members of the Klan. The racism, insecurity and the manipulation of the crowds in the south of the United States are rendered with accuracy. However, to the historian Howard Zinn, who advised SNCC at the time, the film is too beautiful to federal agents came to investigate, then, that ” we knew that their conduct was disgraceful to the image of the federal government, in general, when these three young people had disappeared.”
• Oscars 1989 : best photography Peter Biziou
• Eddie Awards 1989 : best editing of a film (exæquo with Stu Linder for ” Rain Man)
• American Society of Cinematographers 1989 : best photography of a film released in theaters for Peter Biziou
• Berlinale 1989 : silver Bear for best actor for Hackman
• Artios Awards 1989 : best casting of a drama film
• National Board of Review Awards 1989 : best film, best director, best actor for Gene Hackman, best actress in a supporting role for Frances McDormand
• British Society of Cinematographers 1989 : best photography Peter Biziou
• BAFTA 1990 : best photography Peter Biziou, for best editing: Gerry Hambling, best sound : Bill Phillips, Danny Michael, Robert J. Litt, Elliot Tyson, Rick Kline
• Oscars 1989 : best film, best actor for Gene Hackman, best actress in a supporting role for Frances McDormand, best director for Alan Parker, for best editing: Gerry Hambling, best sound
• Golden Globes: 1989 : best film drama, best director for Alan Parker best actor in a drama film for Gene Hackman, best screenplay for Chris Gerolmo
• David di Donatello 1989 : best foreign film, best foreign actor for Gene Hackman